New Book


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Have any of you read the book by Hicks and Taylor entitled, "Down to the River to Pray"? I just finished it this past week. I thought the book was incredible and reflects a hermeneutic that is really in touch with God's intentions in Scripture. However, some of the thoughts presented in the book would be considered radically oppositional towards traditional church of Christ perspective on baptism. Some might argue that Hicks' view of baptism is lower than it should be, but I feel, however, that the view presented of baptism in the book is one of the highest that I have seen. Does anyone have any thoughts or input? Even if you don't agree with everything, this book is a must read. I can't say that I agree with all of it, but I loved the challenge it presents.


2 Responses to “New Book”

  1. Blogger Jason Retherford 

    Doug,

    we talked about this the other day. I have read a little from that book, and was challenged by the material presented in that book as well. I appreciate the work and contribution of Hick's and Taylor to the conversation within our circle about this issue. If we can't ask tough questions about why we believe like we do, then we aren't exercising our minds, and I do know that Jesus informs us to love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength!

  2. Blogger B.Cross 

    I too think that this book along with John-Mark's other book Come to the Table. Yes, I see that it presents a totally different view on baptism than cofc tradition holds. Though, is it totaly ascew? Like J said if we don't question... I would add if we don't question can we be sure of what we believe.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Team Members

Previous posts

Archives


referer referrer referers referrers http_referer