When just one church isn't enough


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Neela Banerjee, a writerfor the New Your Times wrote an article that ran in yesterday's Religion section of the Houston Chronicle about teenagers attending multiple churches. What are your thoughts or observations in your settings?


7 Responses to “When just one church isn't enough”

  1. Anonymous sam 

    this is a growing trend that will probably continue. from what i've seen, kids are not all that concerned about "tradition" and most know nothing of denominations. the ones i've talked to about it don't seem to understand denominations and the need for them. seems like the adults are way more hung up on that sort of thing and its importance seems to escape the youth culture. i can see why.

    most of the youth in my group don't come to our church with their family. most go to one of the local mega-churchs in the area, but come to our group for a more laid back, intimate feel. their parents don't seem to mind.

  2. Anonymous Iris Vazquez 

    I know this is off the subject, but i needed to find a youth ministry forum that was actually updated. I wonder if anyone could help me. I'm 20 years old and i have a part time job and go to school part time majoring in multimedia. All these classes that i have been taking have basically asked to put their work before anything that you do. I find myself the whole semester struggling to do what they expect because i am also very involved in the youth ministry of my church. I really care alot about the salvation of these kids and i can't seem to put anything else in front of or before the work of God. A lot of the time i feel like quitting school and working my part time job and going full time into the ministry. Granted my income is not the greatest thing ever but God has always provided and i've seen that. I have prayed about this, and i just don't want to make a decision that was made solely by me and not God. I really need some spiritual advice if anyone can spare it. thanks, Iris. Please email me at boricuash0wty@juno.com

  3. Anonymous Aaron 

    If it's a problem, I'm part of it.

    Being on staff and leading every week at my home church, it is nice to occasionally attend a different church and just participate without leading.

  4. Anonymous Gary Davis 

    Frankly, I am surprised that this hasn't been a trend sooner than later. I have very detailed reasons for this, but am unable to conjure them at 3am in the morning...so I will just leave it at that.

  5. Anonymous Chad Nall 

    My reaction changes depending on the day of the week. I know that when we give our lives to Christ our spiritual family becomes our primary family. It is in the context of this family that we are nurtured. What affect does involvement in multiple communities of faith have on the spiritual development of a person? What can one offer to others when he/she is continually relocating? I'm not sure. It seems, that the desire to be involved in multiple places is based on a desire to have one's needs met. I'm not sure that this is discipleship as Jesus had in mind. At the same time, admittingly I minister at a more traditional, less appealing community of faith and it does make it difficult.

  6. Anonymous Tim 

    I'm the youth pastor at a church and am certianly committed to that local body. Sunday mornings are crazy hectic and I'm usually pretty distracted during the service thinking, "Where is so-and-so? I wonder how they're doing... Oh, i need to remember to talk with this parent... don't forget to get that other kid's new phone number..." etc. Sometimes I don't even hear the sermon. :-( So, since we often do not have anything on Sunday nights, I like to attend another local church for their Sunday evening service. It's a large church, so I can sit in the back, not know anyone, have no responsibilities, and just relax and focus on worship. It's very refreshing for me to have this time with God away from all the crazyiness of my home church. My Sr. Pastor knows about this and is very supportive of it, so I don't really see a problem with it. In fact, it's been very beneficial for my walk with God.

  7. Anonymous Ryan Kellermeyer 

    I thought this might interest your readers:

    I just set up a new podcast for my church's Pre-K through 8th Grade day school, Hunting Park Christian Academy. The idea is that each school day (and hopefully through the summer) we will post a new scripture being read by one of the school's 200+ students. We will be using The Message, Eugene Peterson's paraphrase of the bible in contemporary language. I recorded three 7th grade girls today and was impressed with their excitement and respect for God's word. I am hoping that people will find a way to add this to their daily routine by subscribing to the feed and taking their iPod to work or simply clicking on the "direct download" links on the podcast's web site and listening to the files on their computer. Eventually, I will start including information about various things that are happening at the school and also inviting those who are blessed by the podcast to partner with us financially. I am hoping to use this as a way to generate revenue for the warehouse rehab project which will add a gym and 30 classrooms to the school's current facilities. I am also just curious to see if people will appreciate something like this, so please let me know your thoughts and any ideas on how to make this concept better. Another great thing is that this gives me a fun way to introduce our kids to some of the technologies that are out there. I think this can be a very cool thing! I would appreciate as much publicity for this new podcast as possible. Please do me a favor and email to your friends and post on your blogs. Thanks!!

    If you have iTunes, you can get to the pocast site directly by following this link.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Team Members

Previous posts

Archives


referer referrer referers referrers http_referer