something fun from Austin


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I got to hear Tony Jones, the national US coordinator for emergent-village share the history of the emergent movement. It was an interesting and informative session with Tony Jones. One of the questions that we were discussing was whether or not all questions could be allowed on the table of discussion. Tony provided an example sighting the difference of opinion he has from others, such as John Piper on penal substitutionary atonement. One woman sitting in the back of the room raised her hand and asked, “yeah does this mean like male domination or something?” You have to keep in mind that this was a room of youth workers, some like myself are probably immature and laugh still at body functions and the like. Hearing the honest question asked by a sincere believer in Jesus, caused quite an eruption of laughter from the room. It was truly hilarious and the funny thing was it is on tape and somehow, Tony Jones kept his composure. I lost it.

I guess you had to be there.


7 Responses to “something fun from Austin”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Love it!

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    So did anyone ask if postmodernism and the Emergent Church, was it just a FAD? And what was truth and if Tony believed in absolute truth?

    I almost laugh out loud because it seems at almost every convention I see Tony those questions are asked.

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Jason is not alone in his immaturity. I was laughing aloud with him. It was hilarious!

    Gman, those same questions were asked at this seminar. He seemed to delineate between objective truth and absolute truth. He believes context informs our understanding and therefore there is no such thing as objective truth, but I didn't get the indication that he believed there was no absolute truth...at least not at this seminar. Jason may have a different opinion though.

  4. Anonymous Anonymous 

    G-man,

    Beleive it or not, no one asked if emergent was just a fad or not. But, with what Tony did discuss, he seems hopeful that emergent isn't a fad.

    I have never attended an emergent worship service.

    For those of you that do, what do you think? What are the pros and cons of the emergent movement? One thing that jumps out at me is the emerging stuff is trying to be more ogranic and less institutional.

    What are your thoughts?

  5. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Ah, Jason ... I just wrote on what I like about being an emergent or rather part of the Emerging Church. I might post some thoughts here soon!!

  6. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Gman,

    I would like to read your thoughts about your experience with emergent.

    What Doug mentioned about context is what Jone's mentioned. It was interesting hearing him explain this in relation to gospel. I will have dig through my notes and share what I wrote and what I thought I heard him say.

  7. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Auto insurance i have find the solution here.

    [url=http://auto-insurance-quote.100freemb.com/index.html] auto insurance quote [/url]
    [url=http://auto-loan.100freemb.com/index.html] auto loan [/url]

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Team Members

Previous posts

Archives


referer referrer referers referrers http_referer