Word Work: Friday, November 18, 2005


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Word Work: Friday, November 18, 2005
=================================
 
"Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us..." (Gal. 3:13)
 
A word from the Word: Read Luke 11:1-13
"For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks the door will be opened" (Luke 11:10)
 
Food for Thought: Daddy, are you busy?
Children have a way with words, don't they? Their simple, but affectionate questions can soften even the stoniest of hearts. If you have children of your own, think about some of the questions they asked you when they were little. Or if you don't have kids of your own, think about the little kids you are around, or have ever been around. As Billy Cosby used to say, "kids do say the darndest things."
 
My oldest daughter, Rachel asked me a question today that melted my heart. My wife, was taking the girls to Walmart, and daddy was busy doing what youth minister's do. We happened to cross paths, and well, Rachel wanted her daddy to come with her into the store, but I couldn't today. When I told her no, I couldn't go in with her. She asked me, "daddy, are you busy?" So, I am sitting here wondering, if she is growing up learning that her daddy doesn't have time for her, because he is busy? If you are a parent, then maybe you've experienced something similar. Are we too busy for our kids?
 
One thing is for certain, our Heavenly Father is never to busy for his kids. You will never here God say, "sorry can't help you right now, I am busy." Our Father is always available and ready to listen to the cries of our hearts. Parents, may we learn from our Heavenly Father what it means to be available for our kids, and not just when they are little. For midadolescents, those teens aged 15-19, one of the biggest challenges that it is recorded that they face is the feeling that the adults in their worlds have abandoned them. Our culture is to blame. We live in an instant society, we are always on the go, and never seem to have enough time for meaningful relationships. In the hustle and bustle, parents don't forget to make time for your children.
 
So, here shortly I will be leaving the office, and I will be hugging my little ones and reassuring her that I am not to busy for her.


Gratefully His,

Jason Retherford


1 Responses to “Word Work: Friday, November 18, 2005”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    You ask such a great question! One that I am haunted by nearly every day.

    As pastors our families must be our priority. I have seen far too many people throw their lives away because their pastor dads did not have enough time for them.

    I never believe the line "quality over quantity" We must spend a good quantity of time with our children. They must know that we are there for them, value them, and think they are the most important people in our lives.

    What good is a "good ministry" if our own families are falling apart?

    Wonderful thoughs Jason. Thank you!

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Team Members

Previous posts

Archives


referer referrer referers referrers http_referer