Reflections from Afar.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...




So Jason got me thinking from his first 2years post, and the disconnection of teens of what I would do differently starting youth ministry. After doing this thing called youth ministry for over 12 years as an ordained minister, and then several years as a volunteer and youthworker. And entering into my 4th year here at my current ministry, here are some things I'd do differently.

1. I would definitely Pray more. Spend more time in prayer.

2. Delegate more. The better you can inspire and administer things, the better balance to your own life.

3. Have better resources. PDYM, and My First 2yrs in YM weren't written yet. I wish someone told me these things long ago.

4. Take care of my own soul. So often I so busy trying to save the world, I forget to feed myself.

5. Take more retreats. With my family, youth, and feed students. There is nothing like NWYC, CIY, Marriage conventions.

6. Choose wisely. I think some of the ministries I went to, I didn't choose wisely until recently.

7. Leadership is everything. Be a leader. Influence. And make sure your leaders are behind you.

8. Make the most of every moment. Today for example I hung out with a youth intern @ another church to build a relationship and encourage. Having the parents more involved.

9. Know your strengths and weaknesses. I think knowing thyself is a good thing. Personality tests, and such come in handy.

10. Loving God and loving students more. I think this essential helped me stay on focus and wish I did it more.

Any others you would add?


2 Responses to “Reflections from Afar.”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    G-Man,

    Thanks for sharing from the wealth of your experience. Whether we've been in ministry for a few months, a few years or for many years, sharing what we've learned along the way will benefit those who are just beginning or maybe need a few words of encouragement.

    Thanks for what you do for teens!

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Plan to stick around.

    Don't go into a ministry without a 'long-haul' mindset. Don't aim for the average short stay, but commit to long-term ministry.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Team Members

Previous posts

Archives


referer referrer referers referrers http_referer