Youth Ministry: Calling or Choice?


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



It's been awhile since there have been any posts over here so I 'd thought I would ask a question. Is going into ministry a calling or choice? Or is it both? I think there needs to be a calling, how do we know when we are called into a certain area of ministry? When should we move on.

I am looking forward to hearing any of your comments!


7 Responses to “Youth Ministry: Calling or Choice?”

  1. Blogger CL 

    This is a great question Jason. I know that when I entered ministry I felt called. Now I also know that many in the "brotherhood" don't think we are called, but I just don't believe that. Maybe I am wrong, but I have seen God work in my life and the lives of others and know for a fact that it's true.

    The tough part for me I believe is the question you asked, "When do we move on?" Great question. I have really tried to focus on just letting God open doors for me and praying the Spirit to help me with wisdom and discernment. One thing I think that happens to us is we take our goals and try and make God's plan fit them. So when an opporunity for change arises we JUMP! Thinking, it has to be God leading us, since it fits our professional goals. I have struggled with this and I always pray that God will break my spirit and allow me to see things through his eyes!

    This probably isn't much of an answer and is more of a ramble, but it is what it is! God bless you man!

  2. Blogger Jovan 

    Both!

    Don't forget about the example we find in the book of Jonah. God called him to preach to Nineveh but he fled to Tarshish. In a sense you could say that Jonah had rejected his "calling." I say in "a sense" because to Jonah that was a direct verbal command from God. God commanded him to be a Ninevite Minister. As for myself, did I recieve a command to be a youth minister? No. I wanted to be a campus minister, but I believe God led me to minister to teens. There were just too many "coincidentals" for me not to be. Will I always minster to teens? I don't know. I wish God would just come out and tell me. I just sometimes have to ask him. "Lord is this what I am to be doing?" And then I wait. So far this is it. He has guided me to this point. Pray for wisdom, do what you know is right (according to his word), seek to have the same mind as Christ, let the Spirit lead you. God Bless.

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I reckon the "both" answer is best, you have to choose to follow a calling. However Calling takes many forms and is often a growing realisation of gifts/passions that God has given you. In the U.K we have many youth ministers who move out of youth ministry. This begs the questions does God call people to youth ministry for life or just a season?
    Youthblog
    www.oxford.anglican.org/youthblog

  4. Blogger Adam 

    When I told my father (who is a fairly traditional C of C preacher) that I was going into youth ministry I was expecting him to be overjoyed and do backflips. He looked at me very seriously and said, "If you can do anything else, you need to." Because of the puzzled expression I gave him, we went on to explain that he believed that unless you felt a compulsion from beyond yourself to live this life, it would burn you out.
    I am called (compelled) by God to do youth ministry. Obviously I had a choice as to whether or not I answered that call, but I really believe that if someone is not called by God to do it, they have no business in vocational ministry of any kind. God equips those he calls. If someone picks this life/job just because they think it would be fun, I feel sorry for them, their family, their youth group, and their church.
    AE

  5. Blogger CL 

    Adam,

    A HEARTY AMEN BROTHER! LOOKING FORWARD TO LAST HOUR!

  6. Blogger Jason Retherford 

    Brothers,

    I appreciate your willingness to participate in this conversation. Finding one's calling is a wonderful moment, living that calling daily is a lifetime of wonder. Youth Ministry, of course is an amazing, upside down, cooky, spectacular, smelly, hysterical, spiritual saga we thrive on.
    Thank you for what you do for teens and for their families.

  7. Blogger happytheman 

    Calling! Emmaus Road Experience or there is know one else around to work with the youth.

    Peace....

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Team Members

Previous posts

Archives


referer referrer referers referrers http_referer